Do you know your IRS issued EFIN “tracking number“? If you intend to e-file next tax season, you must have access to your IRS E-services account!
The IRS is implementing a new requirement in order to reduce EFIN theft. Basically, the IRS is issuing every EFIN a 20 digit tracking number that must be entered to complete your tax software setup. Without this 20 digit tracking number issued by the IRS, which is obtained through your E-services account, you will not be able to E-file!
Locating Your IRS Tracking Number from IRS e-Services
Follow these steps to locate your IRS Tracking Number:
- Access the IRS e-Services Account Sign Up and Log In Page
- Enter your username and select LOG IN
- Enter your password in the space provided and select SUBMIT
- You will be prompted to provide your 6-digit security code in the space provided. Select SUBMIT
- Follow the onscreen prompts by selecting the CONTINUEand/or SUBMIT buttons until you reach the ESAM Application Landing Page
- Locate your Tracking Number in the list of Applications:
This is all the information we have at the moment. What we want to stress and emphasize is that you make certain that you can access your E-services account and locate this number for future use! The IRS EFIN Tracking Number will be REQUIRED to E-File 2018 Tax Returns.