It’s 11 a.m. on July 10th and you are peacefully drinking your second cup of coffee when your office phone rings. It’s one of your clients! They quickly inform you they never received their state refund. Their federal refund came through just fine in March, but no sign of the state!
You jump into your software, access their return and your heart sinks! Their state return was never filed 🙁 How about we avoid that this year!
This article is intended for Pro-Online Users.
How can I determine which state returns were electronically filed and which state returns were marked as Paper?
We recommend running the Pro Web Returns – Detailed Return Report. These reports are located in your account hub.
If the previous sentence causes you to say, “Huh”? Call your account manager and chastise them for holding out on you!
- Defaults to Tax Year 2018
- Enter a Start Date and End Date
- Select the check mark next to the EFIN.
You can either select Run Report or Run report for Export. Either way, you may want to export the data so you can sort it.
What information does this report give me?
- Group Name (Will be blank) EFIN
- Last 4 of SSN
- First Name
- Last Name
- Status (status of the federal return)
- Federal Return Type (e-file, paper, direct deposit, direct debit, etc.)
- Federal Refund (negative if balance due)
- State (State abbreviations…If the return had more than 1 state, the return will have multiple rows)
- State return type
- You are looking for Paper or PR with?
- State Refund
- Stated date (date return was started)
Can I filter the columns?
Yes, each column allows you to sort in Ascending or Descending order. You can also filter by selecting a certain criteria such as Paper or PR.
The filter below on the state return type column will display a list of all returns where the state was marked as paper.
You can now export this filtered list so it is easier for you to work with!
Hope this will prevent the July phone call altogether and you can enjoy your summer with no interruptions. 🙂